Office Location:
Presidents Place, Room 325

Mailing Address:
Quincy College
ATTN: International Student Services
Presidents Place
1250 Hancock Street
Quincy Center, MA 02169

Phone:: (617) 984-1663
or 1 (800) 698-1700
Fax: (617) 984-1616
.(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)

Business Hours:
Monday - Thursday: 9:00am - 6:00pm
Friday: 9:00am - 4:00pm
Saturday & Sunday: CLOSED

Lisa Stack
Director of International Student Services
(617) 984-1663
.(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)

Bilun Ozbilen
Admissions Associate
(617) 984-1674
.(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)

Visa Information


"I've made so many friends from all over the world at Quincy College, and I received so much help from International Student Services to prepare me for my career in business."

Sujan Rijal, Business Major, Hometown: Kathmandu, Nepal

» Obtaining a VISA in your home country
» Applying for a VISA if you are in the United States already (changing status)
» Arrival at Quincy College

Obtaining a VISA in your home country
You will need to obtain a passport from your government and then apply for an F-1 student visa from the American Embassy or Consulate in your home country. Find out how to make an appointment at the US Embassy here. Once your appointment has been made you will need to bring the following with you:

• The original I-20 issued by Quincy College
• Proof of payment of the $200 SEVIS fee
• Form DS-160 (may need additional forms)
• Valid passport (passport must be valid beyond the intended period of stay in the U.S.)
• Copy of the financial documents you gave to Quincy College admissions
• One passport size photograph
• Fee

Click here to view a video from the State Department about new VISA policies
All applicants should be prepared to provide:

• Transcripts and diplomas from previous institutions attended;
• Scores from standardized tests required by the educational institution such as the TOEFL, SAT, GRE, GMAT, etc.;
• Financial evidence showing you (or your parents who are sponsoring you) have sufficient funds to cover your tuition and living expenses during the period of your intended study. For example, if you or your sponsor is a salaried employee, please being income tax documents and original bank books and/or statements. If you or your sponsor own a business, please bring business registration, licenses, etc., and tax documents, as well as original bank books and/or statements.

To pay the SEVIS fee, use the website at This site contains a description of the fee and how to pay it online or via post. If you have questions, please contact the International Student Service Office. Remember, the SEVIS fee is not the same as a visa application fee or college admission fee. Follow your local U.S. Embassy's instructions regarding the payment of the visa application fee.

What will the consular officer ask?
The consular officer will examine all of your documents and the I-20 to make sure you have been admitted to the college and that you have the funds necessary to pay the tuition and living expenses. The tuition for 2011-2012 varies depending on which program of study you have applied for - please see the Tuition and Fees page for current figures. The consular officer may also ask you about your academic background and that you intend to return home after your studies are completed. You must show that you have a permanent residence in your home country and other ties that will ensure you leave the U.S. at the end of your studies. If the consular officer judges that everything is in order, you will receive an F-1 visa and you may begin your plans to come to the United States no earlier than 30 days before the program start date on your I-20.

When should I apply?
You should apply for your visa as soon as possible. Once you receive the I-20 from Quincy College and acceptance letter along with the pertinent applications and financial documents you are ready for your appointment at the Embassy. Remember, January and August are particularly busy times at your Embassy so prepare well in advance for your appointment.

Arrival in the United States
On your flight to the United States, a flight attendant will give you two government forms to fill out. One form is for customs (this is regarding the items you are bringing into the U.S. with you) and another form for immigration (I-94 Arrival/Departure Record). Be sure to fill out both forms completely before landing. When you arrive in the U.S., an Immigration Officer will review your documents (passport,
I-20, customs declaration, and I-94 form). Once everything has been reviewed, the Immigration Officer should:

1. Stamp your passport with your date of arrival
2. Stamp "F-1 D/S" on the I-94 card and staple it to the visa page of your passport
3. Stamp page 1 of your I-20 form, write "F-1 D/S" on the I-20, and return all of the forms to you.

The number on the I-94 will be your (Immigration) Admission Number.
The I-94 card is generally marked "D/S" (duration of status) by the Immigration Officer. The "D/S" means that you will be in legal status as long as you are a student registered full-time pursuing the degree specified on your I-20. Make sure before you leave the immigration officer you have ALL of your documents with you.

If you are a Canadian citizen, you do not need a passport or a visa from the American Consulate, but you must present your Form I-20 when you enter the U.S.

►back to top

Applying for a VISA if you are in the United States already (changing status)
If you are currently in the United States on a visa other than an F-1 and wish to apply to Quincy College, you must complete the following:

1. Quincy College application
2. Provide all necessary documents listed on the document checklist
3. Receive an I-20 from the College upon acceptance
4. Request change-of-status through a formal petition with fee submitted to the Vermont Service Center of the USCIS. This information can be obtained in the International Student Services Office at Quincy College.

Remember, having an I-20 from Quincy College DOES NOT mean you are in F-1 status. Also, it can take up to 4 months to process the change of status request. Please visit the International Student Service Office for more information.

Transfer Students
If you wish to transfer to Quincy College from another institution in the United States you must complete the following:

1. Quincy College application
2. Complete a transfer form and make sure your current institution completes the necessary information to ensure the transfer of your I-20 and SEVIS record.
3. Provide all necessary documents for transfer students (all information on the document checklist)

There are time limits on transferring from one institution to another, so make sure you communicate with either your current advisor or a staff member in the International Student Service Office at Quincy College to ensure you do not miss any deadlines.

►back to top

Arrival at Quincy College
All new international students and transfer students are required to attend the International Student Orientation when they arrive at Quincy College. This mandatory orientation will take place at the beginning of the semester. Lunch is included. This orientation will cover the following topics:

1. Scheduling placement exams
2. Registering for classes
3. Health insurance matters
4. Learning about U.S. culture
5. Information on the City of Quincy
6. Immigration process and maintaining F-1 status

Please make sure you bring the following items to the orientation as it is imperative we complete the immigration procedures to avoid serious immigration and academic problems in the future:

1. Passport
2. I-20 form
3. I-94 card (the stamped arrival/departure record from immigration)
4. Your local address in the United States

Please email us when you receive your visa from the U.S. Embassy, this will let us know of your plans to attend Quincy College as we prepare for your arrival and orientation. If you miss the orientation, it is IMPERATIVE that you visit the International Student Services Office as soon as you arrive at Quincy College so we can complete your registration in SEVIS. If you do not visit us, your student visa and SEVIS record will be CANCELLED by the immigration service.

►back to top