Quincy College is the first two-year college in Massachusetts to invest in a SynDaver.
The investment of the SynDaver for the Quincy College at Plymouth Campus comes on the heels of a significant Plymouth Campus renovation where the campus expanded its campus footprint by 45,000 square feet including the build-out of state-of-the-art Nursing wing which includes a simulation laboratory space. Quincy College anticipates training staff on the SynDaver over the summer and expects students to be working with the SynDaver in the Fall of 2017 to support and augment their course work.
The SynDaver Surgical Model, procured by Quincy College is an education-grade synthetic human cadaver complete with all bones, joints, muscles, organs and tendons found in normal human anatomy. This model includes:
- Over 600 muscle composites and 200 bones;
- Major nervous system and vascular components;
- Complete and functional musculoskeletal, cardiovascular, respiratory, gastrointestinal, endocrine and nervous systems;
- A heart pump which pumps synthetic blood from the heart and drainage towards the heart.
The SynDaver Surgical Model is an ideal alternative to human cadavers often used to demonstrate critical skills of healthcare professions in basic anatomy classes. The tissues are a better representation of live tissue than the dead tissue of a cadaver. Students will have a hands on approach in exploring the above systems, much different than using traditional models.
The Syndaver will be housed on the Plymouth Campus in a newly built 950 sq foot lab space, customized to the needs of the SynDaver. The lab space includes cutting edge tools such as Anatomy and Physiology tools, microscopes, models and will include a dip tank as the Syndaver needs to remain submerged when not in use to avoid the desiccation of the model. The SynDaver will be used as an interdisciplinary teaching tool to augment classroom lecture with applications for students studying Phlebotomy, and Physical Therapist Assistant.
Download the Old Colony Memorial article.
- Synthetic cadaver helps students get feel for human anatomy | Wicked Local Plymouth | 04/08/2017
- Synthetic cadaver helps students get a feel for human anatomy at Quincy College in Plymouth | Patriot Ledger | 04/07/2017
- Quincy College invests in Synthetic Cadaver, expands laboratory space | Wicked Local Plymouth | 03/30/2017
- Quincy College Invests in Synthetic Cadaver | University Business | 03/28/2017
Download the Current Semester Bulletin. Your Journey Starts Here. Register Now. We make heading back to school easy for the whole family. There’s still time for you to get ahead at Quincy College.
You might also be interested in...
Quincy College's Associate of Science Degree in Nursing program is both a traditional system-based curriculum blended with a concept-based curriculum.
Quincy College's Phlebotomy Program trains students to perform both routine and challenging venipunctures & capillary skin punctures on adults.
Physical Therapist Assistant
The Physical Therapist Assistant Program at Quincy College prepares students for licensure and employment as Physical Therapist Assistants.
Quincy College Plymouth campus is a perfect fit for any student interested in achieving academic goals without leaving the south shore.